Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hug Your Tree & Go Green

Going vegan with fashion is tough and certain sacrifices must be made (macrame purses anyone?) if you're going to contribute to saving the environment. I had a conversation with my friend I'll call "the enabler" and her desire to be "politically correct" after a recent splurge on a LV Speedy Monogramflamouge during a summer trip to Vegas, she felt the need to tip the scales back in her favor with mother nature and mentioned this beautiful line of handbags by Matt & Nat.

Matt & Nat started almost 20 years ago with the concept to forego animal products and be fashion foward. In Spring 08, the company recycled plastic bottles into an entire line of nylon, following up with Fall 08 with a felt line made from the same material. "The Enabler" & "Miss G" have recently picked up totes from this company and absolutely adore them. The "Camden" (left) is $265.
If you are more of a satchel kind of girl, the "Fifty-Five" (above right) can be had for $250. To my surprise, this company read my mind and have included a line of travel & laptop bags....my quest for the perfect laptop bag continues. The "Jobs"(L) at $285 has faux grey suede lining, pockets for your lipglosses and girl gadgets. Small price for a little luxury! Buy from Nordstroms or directly from their site. Now the question of the day, go YSL or green? http://www.mattandnat.com/product/search/collection/4
The idea of going green for footwear outside of wearing flip-flops ia more difficult for me to conceptualize. The challenge is to find eco-friendly footwear that allow your feet to breathe (I associate man made soles with stinky feet) and still be cute to strut around in. http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com/

And....the most famous vegan designer of them all, Stella McCartney. I think these wedges are incredibly sexy. I don't think these are made with non-animal products BUT they are made with sustainable wood- you gotta give the girl a B+ for trying. $1195 at http://www.stellamccartney.com/.


I love this concept but at 5'3" (ok, I'm lying about my height but that is what the DMV has me down for. No one knows my true height b/c you'll never see me out of heels), my legs are too stubby to wear these boots. $1,995 by the lovely Stella McCartney.
My dear friend, "Pixie Girl" has suggested pairing this turtleneck dress from American Apparel with the boots. Solid rib turtleneck for $32 is a bargain.


Ok, A slight deviation from purses and shoes....Pixie Girl loves the style of Kate Moss and I've included this site just for her. She & Kate are gifted with this special innate gene to combine clothing that are edgy, girly,rock inspired and sexy...always managing to be a "do" & will never appear with a black bar over their eyes in Glamour's "Don'ts" style page. Enter http://www.topshop.com/ for their $750 shopping spree.

No comments: