Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The "Clutches Girl"

My theory on gift giving over the past few years is to give a thoughtful, beautiful item to my beloved friends that they would never buy for themselves. A small decadent token that doesn't have to be expensive but usually placed in the category, "I'd love to buy it but I'm not going to use it that often"...which leads me to the topic of clutches. I'm know as the "clutches" gift giver. All my friends know that inside that wrapped box by Nordstroms, will be a treasure they would never buy for themselves....since Miss T will gift one to them for their b-day.

Gift Giving Tip #1-
My secret, I buy these in multiples, different colors & sizes, and whenever I spot a great buy. I don't know if you've experienced this, but whenever I need to buy a birthday gift, I can never find the right clutch and get frustrated at the lack of choices. So if any of you end up w/ a gift certificate or non-clutch item, you will know your gift was a last-minute run. Some are bought full priced, some during the Nordstroms sales, a few at boutiques, and I'm continually hunting for these clutches everywhere I go. You can start your friends collection with black but I personally would go with an intense, rich color. I keep a stash of clutches in my linen closet, pre-wrapped & ready to go so I never have to worry about running to the store to buy a gift, especially if you are tight on time! My lot in life is that whenever I am pressed for time, I never find the right present.....so that being said, I have one gift remaining and I'm due for another run. (Yes, I did look for clutches during my last Dior Gladiator shoe binge and didn't see any clutch worth buying, c'est la vie!)
So, here are my favs.
http://www.nordstroms.com/
Sadie $108 (L) , Luxie $210 (M), Ruched $168

http://www.piperlime.com/
Nine West (L) $69 or Snowbird (R) $295












If you have a bank account that rivals Ivanka Trump, these are absolutely stunning (feel free to gift me any of these) Christian Louboutin (I love this man) $910 or get the Nancy Gonzalez (R) one for $1650 http://www.neimanmarcus.com/










You really can't go wrong with either one of these.
Laura Merkin - $180. http://www.bloomingdales.com/ for your classic friend that is more comfortable in tailored shift dresses with the heart of Charlotte from SATC.....or for that fashion forward friend who loves leather (don't we all?) Loeffler Randall- $349


.....and for your edgy, trend-setting galpal who can uses Gwen Stefani as her muse & inspiration, this Edinburgh Irvine clutch can be acquired through http://www.eluxury.com/ for $295.


Hobo International is my "go to guy". I can depend on them because they usually have a selection that will please the pickiest & selective of friends. http://www.hobointernational.com/. The "Sculpt" $198 comes in black, anthracite, & grey...and you can buy direct from them. Free shipping if you spend over $150. Go green, spend your gas money on latte instead.

Gift Giving -Tip #2
As you can see, clutch styles, like friends, clothes, and shoes can be schizophrenic, so go with a GOAL in mind. I tend to stay away from "season-typing" and won't buy a clutch made of straw (Kate Spade & Michael Kors makes beautiful ones, but these can only be given in spring/summer so if you decide to buy, make sure you know the person who you're gifting it to will love it). A good goal to have is choosing a color palate that can be carried over 2-3 seasons. White or winter white can be worn from December- September. Reds, garnets, ruby colored items are great for fall-winter. Jewel tones are great for winter-spring...maybe even in summer. More muted, rich colors like aubergine and peacock blues are more specific for fall. I tend to go for leather because satin & silks are tough to keep gorgeous, especially since a clutch can easily be ruined whenever drinks are spilled on them. Live it, Learn it.
**a side note, I've learned my lesson. Never wear your Louboutins, Choos, Manolos, etc when out drinking, enough said**
Now, the big question.....do you girls still want clutches for your birthday gifts? OR should I move to the next statement piece?
Gift Giving -Tip#3
Timeless & beautiful
(and budget friendly too!)
  1. 14k Gold Hoops (jewlery marts or ...Costco has 18k ones for under $140!)
  2. Pearl earrings (under $100 at Costco)
  3. Travel wallets (Nordtroms...see tip#1)
  4. monogrammed LL Bean tote
  5. photo in silver frame (I prefer candid photos)

1 comment:

Janaan said...

What a great idea! Can I be your friend so that I can be the recipient of some of these fabulous clutches?